- SERVING SIZE: 24 Balls
- PREP TIME: 10 MINS
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MINS
- RECIPE TYPE: Snack
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1 avocado
- 5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp water
- ½ cup Shasha Co. organic and gluten-free breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp basil
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Toss into a blender or food processor until broken down into a somewhat chunky paste.
- Time to whisk up your flaxseed “eggs”! Mix water and ground flaxseed together and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the egg mixture to the blended chickpeas and mix until combined. The consistency of the flaxseed will help the cheatballs stick together!
- Fold the avocado into the chickpea mixture, stirring until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the breadcrumbs and spices. If your mixture is a tad too sticky, try adding more breadcrumbs. If it’s too dry, just add water or a dash of olive oil!
- Now, the fun part! Using your hands, mold the chickpea mixture into small balls, approximately 1” – 1.5” in diameter. Place them evenly onto a greased baking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and bake the cheatballs for about 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Make sure to turn them halfway through!
- Throw ‘em over a plate of spaghetti rice noodles and tomato sauce for a healthy, meat-free meal the whole family will love!
- PROTEIN: 2.5g
- FAT: 3.4g
- CARBOHYDRATES: 9g
- CALORIES: 60
*Nutritional information per ball
***Nutritional figures are estimates and may vary depending on ingredients and portion sizes.
Mama mia! Who doesn’t love a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs? As a vegan, you might think you’re missing out on this classic comfort food. Think again, friends! With a few cans of chickpeas and a ripe avocado, Italian never felt so inspired.
Chickpeas are every vegan’s prime source of protein. With so many ways to play ‘em, these small but mighty legumes are both filling and functional. Our Chickpea & Avocado Cheatballs make the most of all chickpeas have to offer. You might almost believe you’re cheating – almost.
After tossing your chickpeas into a food processor, combine the broken down mixture with the flaxseed “egg”, avocado, breadcrumbs, and spices. Roll the mixture into balls, pop them in the oven, and presto! You’ve got a tasty and nutritious topping for your bed of spaghetti.
“Veganism is not a sacrifice. It is a joy.”
Gary L. Francione
ABOUT UPBEET BLOG
UPBEET FOODS welcomes you into our kitchen with our new blog. Here you’ll find everything you need to #GoVegan, including simply delicious recipes and chef-inspired tips and tricks. If you’ve been shying away from vegan cooking, shy no more! With our easy recipes and expert advice, vegan never looked so good.
DISCOVER MORE VEGAN RECIPES
Want new recipes before they get published?
Subscribe to our awesome newsletter.
LEAVE A COMMENT
RATE THIS POST